Delegation travel is at the heart of Sister Parish relationships.
Sister Parish participants travel as peacemakers, being one with Christ and thus reflecting the quality gifts of a shared spirit: a deeper faith, a broader vision, a greater understanding of important issues, and new relationships.
Because Sister Parish is committed to a spirit of mutuality and solidarity, delegates from both Central America and the United States visit each other to live in each others homes and share in each others realities. Delegates are accompanied by Sister Parish staff members who provide cultural orientation, logistical support and interpretation.
Resources for prospective delegates:
- Video Introduction to Sister Parish
- Delegate reflections on our blog.
- Sister Parish Photo Gallery with photos from activities and delegations.
- Your delegation expenses may be tax-deductible. Talk to a financial advisor about whether or not this applies in your situation.
Resources for delegation coordinators:
- Preparing for a North to South Delegation
- Orientation Manual for North to South delegations.
- Draft Delegation FAQ sheet and Orientation Timeline for delegate recruitment handouts. The documents were originally used at St. Joan of Arc, but you can edit for your delegation.
- Notes on potential Health and Safety Concerns (PDF)
- Please discuss safe church policies with staff before your delegation. Staff will honor your church’s policy. It is helpful to know in advance in order to coordinate activities and home stays appropriately.
- Preparing for a South to North Delegation
- If you are looking for ideas for engaging activities, see our South to North Photo Album.
Required forms for all delegates traveling to Central America:
- Sister Parish Release Form (PDF)
- Delegate Application and Health Form – Online version / (PDF version)
- Parental Consent Form (PDF – for delegates under age 18)
Application to participate in an open delegation:
- Every few years, Sister Parish coordinates delegations that are open to members and non-members. Delegation activities vary according to the interests and experience of participants. Sister Parish has also partnered with organizations and universities, like the Center for Mission and Pacific School of Religion, to co-coordinate part or all of their delegation experience. Please contact us if you are interested in organizing or participating in an open delegation.
- Open Delegation Delegate Form – Online version / (Word version)
Completed PDF and Word forms can be mailed to the US Office, or scanned and emailed to email@example.com.